Our construction team acts for a wide range of clients on a variety of construction issues, both contentious and non-contentious. We are experienced in all stages and types of construction projects including: commercial / office developments, residential developments, social housing schemes, mixed-use developments, primary healthcare centers and schools. We have advised on a range of secured development finance transactions involving various SPV vehicles including ICAVs, corporations, partnerships and joint venture arrangements.
We have a strong track record in advising our clients on complex legal issues, successfully managing disputes for our clients and protecting their interests.
Our construction team has significant experience with drafting and negotiating standard and bespoke construction contracts, appointments, subcontracts, collateral warranties, step-in agreements, duty of care agreements and cost overrun guarantees as well as ancillary construction related documentation. We provide advice on insurance requirements, risk management, planning, health and safety and also compliance with building regulations and building control legislation. Our construction team also has considerable expertise with contentious construction issues.
Some of our key services include:
- Development finance for the construction of a number of social housing developments
- Financial institutions and direct funders in financing the construction of various projects
- Construction contracts for large-Agri producers
- Liquidator of a large construction contractor in the pursuit of various payments
- Enforcement of adjudicators decision under the Construction Contract Act 2013
- Advising both moving party or respondent in Adjudications under the Construction Contract Act 2013
- Insurance, including professional indemnity relating to construction professionals, such as architects, consulting engineers and contractors
- Contentious issues surrounding public works contracts, FIDIC suite of contracts, and RIAI standard contracts
- Advising a number of the CIF Top 40 Main Contractors of Ireland
- Residential / social housing developments which included forward sale agreements and long leases.
- Advised on a form of investment finance facility agreement and mortgage and charge for one of the largest developers in Ireland.
- Acted on behalf of an AHB regarding the acquisition of several near completed units which involved the delivery of collateral.
- Multiple commercial real estate investment transactions acting on behalf of lenders and borrowers.
- Advised an AHB in relation to the acquisition of units from one of the country’s largest developers with funding provided by the HFA and supported by local authority payment and availability arrangements.
- External training to several clients which considered the security and construction requirements on residential property investment and development finance transactions.
- Advised a direct funder in respect of funding two separate developments which was also to benefit from additional collateral over a separate site. Our role included drafting all required security documentation and letters of appointment and collateral warranties in respect of each of the professionals and subcontractors involved in the development.
- Series of development financings for primary healthcare centres with forward lease arrangements with the HSE. Our role included providing advice in relation to loan aspects, security structure and package, the nature of investment by an ICAV into a limited partnership structure. We also advised on professional appointments and related collateral warranties in relation to each of the developments.
- Advised a direct funder in respect of future receivable funding regarding the construction of a primary care centre in Co. Cork.
- Provision of development finance to an SPV of a large multinational developer which assisted with the development of 220 residential units. This transaction involved a large multi-jurisdictional development group on its initial venture into the ROI market requiring careful consideration and explanation of domestic matters to assist the borrower on its entry to a new market.
- Advising a contractor on a large project at Dublin Airport.