Our litigation department are adept at evaluating and monitoring risk on an ongoing basis. We develop strategies that focus on promptly achieving the commercial objectives of our clients. We deliver such objectives efficiently, cost effectively and in a swift manner utilising ADR / mediation and other means of resolving high value complex disputes.
Our experienced dispute resolution team have significant experience in resolving all types of disputes and have particular expertise dealing with the following:
• Aviation Disputes
• Complex Commercial Disputes litigation
• Construction litigation
• Cyber Security / Incident litigation
• Defamation/ Media Law/ Reputation Management / Privacy
• Environmental / Waste related Disputes
• Financial Services Disputes
• Insurance Coverage / Declinature actions / Policy Interpretation
• Impact upon landing claims (Airlines)
• Judicial Review and Administrative Law
• Landlord and Tenant Disputes
• Multi-Jurisdictional Disputes
• Public Procurement Disputes
• Professional Negligence
• Regulatory Investigations and Prosecutions / Corporate Crime Defence
• Shareholder Disputes
• Tax Litigation / Defending Tax Prosecutions
Some examples of our experience include:
- Advised an aggrieved tenderer in a challenge against the HSE involving a €40 million contract.
- Resolved a number of hard fought, highly contentious, multi-million shareholder disputes, including a high value shareholder dispute for a company valued at €60 million.
- Defended a number of high profile prosecutions of breaches of tax / company law and environmental / waste law.
- Advised in relation to and successfully resolved a highly contentious partnership dispute.
- Obtained the release from a €3 million personal guarantee connected to a major regional building developer.
- Persuaded the High Court to affix one third contributory negligence to the client of a solicitor in a high value professional negligence matter.
- Successfully challenged an Insurer’s refusal to provide indemnity cover for a €1 million claim.
- Represented an Irish leasing company in High Court proceedings in relation to the filing of non-consensual international interests on the International Registry.
- Represented an Irish technical service provider in a complex contractual dispute with a European airline.
- Advised a number of international lessors in respect of a number of high value multi-jurisdictional disputes.
- Brought the first application in Ireland under section 14 of the Defamation Act 2009 and successfully challenged certain meanings claimed by the Plaintiff.
- Advised the publisher in the Supreme Court case of McDonagh v Sunday Newspapers Limited in which the court delivered a judgment on the correct and appropriate test for assessing damages in defamation cases.
- Advised the publisher in the landmark privacy case of Hickey v Sunday Newspapers Limited.
- Advised journalists in the high profile case of Cornec v Morrice in successfully maintaining the protection of journalistic sources where testimony is sought by a request for foreign judicial assistance. This case confirmed the special status of journalistic privilege in Ireland.
- Two thirds of all non-fiction books for sale in Ireland are legally reviewed prior to publication by Partner, Kieran Kelly.
- The Firm acts for the publishers of the largest and most successful media publishers in the country including: The Sunday Independent, Irish Independent, Irish Daily Star, The Sunday World, Hot Press magazine, Iconic Newspaper Group, Virgin Media TV and book publishers such as Penguin Ireland, Gill Books, Hachette Ireland, Merrion Press and Atlantic Books.