Flynn O’Driscoll’s Media and Entertainment team handles the full spectrum of media and entertainment law issues spanning contentious and non-contentious matters. It advises the largest newspaper publishers, broadcasters, all the major book publishing houses, and video producers, both domestic and international. It is the leading legal media firm in Ireland.
We advise our media clients on both contentious and non-contentious matters concerning; defamation, privacy, confidentiality, copyright, internet, regulatory matters, contempt law, statutory reporting restrictions, data protection and intellectual property issues associated with our clients’ operations.
In addition to these areas, we provide advice in relation to advertising and brand sponsorship arrangements.
The team has been involved in numerous high-profile defamation and privacy cases defending media clients’ publication and freedom of expression rights, many of which have resulted in the establishment of significant precedent law in the context of both print and online media.
The team provides real time advice concerning news articles and news broadcasts. Advice is provided on tight deadlines due to the nature of broadcasting and online publication.
We also act for clients within the following industries: film, music, documentary and advertising. We advise on financing, production, licensing, copyright, advertising and broadcast compliance issues.
We also assist with the sales and acquisition of media businesses and are specialists in the media merger sector.
The Firm acts for the largest and most successful media publishers in the country including: The Sunday Independent, Irish Independent, Irish Daily Star, The Sunday World, Hot Press Magazine, Iconic Newspaper Group, Virgin Media TV, UTV and book publishers such as Penguin Ireland, Gill Books, Hachette Ireland, Merrion Press and Atlantic Books.
- Two thirds of non-fiction books for sale in Ireland are legally reviewed prior to publication by Partner, Kieran Kelly
- Advised Fine Point Films on documentary series, “Quinn Country”, working closely with the production team for over two years.
- Conducted a pre-broadcast legal review of both Season 1 and Season 2 of the renowned Virgin Media TV documentary “The Guards: Inside the K”.
- Successful in bringing an application to have the high value defamation case of Dana Rosemary Scallon v Independent News & Media PLC, struck out on the basis that the holding company of a publisher had no liability.
- The successful defence of a defamation case Michael Reilly v Iconic Newspapers Limited in which the Defendant availed of the defence of Absolute Privilege pursuant to section 17(2)(i) of the Defamation Act 2009.
- Advised John Kelleher Media on its touching and outstanding documentary, “Charlie Bird: Loud and Clear” broadcast on RTE.
- Reviewing and providing weekly pre-publication advice on the Irish production of "Gogglebox".
- Following the success of the first 10 episodes of the critically acclaimed podcast by the Stand, based on the bestselling book: “The Witness: In His Own Words” by Nicola Tallant, further episodes were made this year. The team carried out a legal review of all episodes.
- Reviewing and providing pre-publication advice for the programme UTV “Up Close” prior to its broadcast.