Experienced, dedicated and dynamic corporate lawyer with a demonstrated history of activity in high profile and complex corporate and commercial transactions. Matthew has acted for a wide range of local and international, listed and unlisted clients in a number of industries, such as: aviation; media and telecommunications; IT; mining; manufacturing; logistics; and FMCG.
Matthew has significant experience in the following areas, in both Irish and cross-border transactions:
- Buy and sell side mergers and acquisitions.
- Corporate structuring and reorganisations.
- Commercial agreements.
- Corporate advisory work.
- Private equity investments.
- Advising on the Irish law aspects of the acquisition by Ideal Tridon Group of Advanced Couplings Limited, which entailed, among other things, conducting due diligence on the Irish entity, which became a wholly owned subsidiary of the target by way of share-for-share exchange, as part of a pre-transaction step.
- Advising on the sell side in respect of the acquisition by Milk Visual Effects Limited of all of the seller’s shares in High Wire Limited, a company which delivers high-end post-production services for TV, feature films, commercials and long-form documentaries.
- Advising on an internal group reorganisation via a merger by absorption, in which the summary approval procedure was utilised.
- Advising high net-worth individuals on the restructuring of their financial interests through the establishment of a partnership, for the future benefit of family members.
From Matthew's previous role as an Associate Attorney at Africa’s largest law firm:
- Drafting a bespoke commercial agreement for an international banking and wealth management company that would enable it, in collaboration with a leading and reputable provider of software and support services for equity compensation, to optimise its share plan services business for its existing clients and offer these services to the market at large.
- Drafting the transactional and constitutional documents that would enable key executives, via the management company, to indirectly hold shares in the target company. This formed part and parcel of the broader M&A transaction, which was an acquisition of the target by the acquirer.
- Bachelor of Art degree in Political and International Studies and Legal Theory (January 2014 - January 2016) - Rhodes University (South Africa)
- Bachelor of Laws degree (January 2017 - January 2018) - Rhodes University (South Africa)
- Admitted Attorney and Legal Practitioner of the High Court of the Republic of South Africa.