James is Managing Partner of the firm and a Partner in the Firm's Aviation and Asset Finance practice. He has a breadth of knowledge that spans the aviation industry with experience ranging from the financing, sale & purchase of aircraft and aviation businesses through to advising key industry players on all commercial and regulatory aspects of their business.
James is an experienced legal professional with over 20 years’ experience advising on all aspects of cross-border aviation financing, leasing and trading including drafting and negotiating lease, purchase, finance and security documentation as well as providing advices in relation to aircraft registration and the practical application of the Cape Town Convention. James has advised numerous lessors, airlines and technical service providers in relation to the establishment of their business platforms in Ireland, company acquisitions and sales, as well as the application of Irish insolvency law to aviation transactions.
Outside of the transactional aspects of the industry, James represents a significant client base of technical service providers including MRO’s, CAMO’s, Part 21, Components, Tear Down, Engine & Paint shops as well as Pilot & Crew Resource Agencies and is experienced in drafting and negotiating industry specific documentation including GTA’s, TSA’s, Consignment Agreements, Line Maintenance, Ground Handling Agreements and Resourcing Agreements.
- Acting as deal counsel advising the purchaser of an Irish MRO, creating the largest privately owned MRO in Europe
- Acting as Irish deal counsel for a lessor and its financiers on a revolving warehouse finance facility of US$400 million
- Advising an international airline in relation to the re-registration of its fleet to the IAA registry and the reorganisation of its financing and security arrangements
- Acting as Irish deal counsel advising a lessor and its financiers in relation to a portfolio acquisition comprising 10 aircraft with lease attached
- Acting as deal counsel advising the purchaser of an Irish airline
- Advising Irish lessors in connection with the examinership of an Irish airline lessee
- Advising on the establishment of an Irish subsidiary of an international parts and components business
- Acting as deal counsel to the purchaser in relation to the financing, purchase and sale of 3 aircraft engines
- Acting as Irish counsel to a security trustee in connection with the registration of aircraft
- Acting as deal counsel to the purchaser of a UK MRO from an administrator
- Advising an international client on the establishment of an Irish AOC from planning stage through to issuance of the AOC and ongoing operation
- Drafting a suite of GTA documentation for an Irish Part 145, Part 21, CAMO organisation
- ESG - Advising an international airline client in relation to an aircraft reservation agreement in connection with the purchase of sustainable hybrid aircraft
- Law Society of Ireland - Solicitor, Diploma in Insolvency and Corporate Restructuring, Diploma in Aviation Leasing & Finance
- Honorable Society of Kings Inns - Diploma in Legal Studies
- Institute of Chartered Secretaries & Administrators - FCIS
- National University of Ireland, Galway - Bachelor of Commerce (Hons)
- Law Society of Ireland
- Law Society of England and Wales
- Chartered Company Secretary, Institute of Chartered Secretaries & Administrators - FCIS